photo PABOI2.jpg

Weekly Digest

 photo PAGEShome1.jpg  photo PAGESlinkparty1.jpg  photo PAGESfeatured1.jpg  photo PAGESsponsor1.jpg  photo PAGESguestposts1.jpg

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

DIY Glitter & Gold Heart Sleeves made with Homemade Fabric Paint ... And A Silhouette Studio Tutorial


I am SO EXCITED about this tutorial. I've been anxiously waiting to post it, because it is one of my most favorites ever, and I've been wearing this cardi every day for five days. Yep. I am quite obsessed with gold + sparkles right now. Plus, add HEARTS on top of that, and you can safely use #SWOON. I love the look of elbow patches, but girl can't sew, so I had to  come up with a different way to get the look. I decided to use homemade fabric paint {I have a tutorial for making your own fabric paint - check it out HERE}. I absolutely love making my own fabric paint. It is SO inexpensive, and I never seem to run out. I used acrylic GLITTER paint for the first time. I was nervous, because I didn't know if it would work well as a fabric paint. I was over the moon happy with the results. The glitter paint worked out beautifully.

This project was SO EASY, I can't stress the EASY factor enough here. I made it in about 20 minutes the night before Build Your Blog Conference, because I wanted to wear this cute cardigan to the conference. I definitely wore my heart on my sleeve that day. :)


Here's what you'll need to make your own cute heart-on-my-sleeve shirt:


The Goods

Shirt {I used a cute cardi I got on sale at Target}
Heart Stencil {I cut mine out of vinyl using my Silhouette Cameo}
Fabric Paint {2 parts acrylic paint + 1 part fabric medium}
Foam Brush

Here is the tutorial for making a stencil using a Silhouette Cameo. I just LOVE my Cameo, guys. I use it almost every day. It's rare for me to make a project without using it in some way. I thought it'd be helpful to show how to make a heart stencil out of vinyl using the Cameo and designing it in Silhouette Studio. If you don't have a Cameo {yet!}, you can skip this part and go to the next part about painting on your shirt. You can make a stencil out of freezer paper or buy a heart stencil from the store. After seeing how easy it is with a Cameo, though, you might be headed out to get one for yourself.



*I know it seems like a lot of photos, but I swear it is SO easy. Don't let the photos scare you - I just like taking photos, ok?! ;)


How to Cut a Stencil with your Silhouette Cameo {or Portrait}


Open Silhouette Studio. Select your Page Settings in the top right toolbar. Select the size of vinyl you are cutting (12x12 for 12"; Letter for 9"). If you are using a roll of vinyl, select No Cutting Mat. If you have a piece of vinyl on a cutting mat, select the size of mat you are using.



Select the SHAPE you want to use. I, of course, chose a heart! Purchase one from the Silhouette Online Store {I used THIS ONE}, design your own, or use one from your Library. Select the Library {book icon} from the left sidebar. Use the search bar at the top to search for a HEART. Double-click your shape to place it on your project.



Resize your shape using one of the square corners {highlighted in pic}. Position where you want it to be cut.



Right-click your shape and select Duplicate. This gives you a second heart {2 sleeves = 2 hearts!}. Position them both for cutting.



Your shapes are ready for cutting! Select the Send to Silhouette button {#1 in photo}. This opens up your Silhouette Cut Settings. Adjust your rollers to match what is shown on your screen {#2}. Your roller setting is based on what you set up your Page Settings to be at the beginning. Choose the medium you are cutting {#3}. In this case, it's vinyl. When you select the product you're cutting, the Speed, Thickness & Blade settings will automatically adjust on your screen. *Make sure that the Cutting Mat box is unchecked, if you're not using a cutting mat.* Adjust your actual blade to match the setting, if needed. I always do a Test Cut {#4} before cutting. It will cut a small triangle in the top left corner of your vinyl. Check to be sure that it cut correctly. This helps you know if you need to adjust the thickness or blade setting. Now you can click CUT! The Cameo will work its magic and do the rest of the work for you. :)




Put on your shirt {or cardi} and mark where your elbows are. Linda from Craftaholics Anonymous had the fabulous idea to use WASHI TAPE for this part. I am such a fan of washi tape that I just had to use this idea in my project! Thanks, Linda. {you can view her project HERE}



Peel away the inner part of your vinyl, if you used vinyl, leaving the outer part to use as your stencil. Cut down to size.



Mix your fabric paint. Remember, it's 2 parts acrylic paint + 1 part fabric medium. I love Martha Stewart's tintable fabric medium. I've used it for SO many projects {that you can view HERE}. Craft Tip: use cupcake liners to hold your paint! I always have extra cupcake liners hanging out, wishing they could be used for something amazing, so I double up and use them to hold my paint. Super easy to toss when you're done!



Apply your stencil to where your washi tape marked the spot. *SUPER IMPORTANT: place a piece of card stock or paper underneath your stencil INSIDE the sleeve. This will ensure the paint doesn't bleed through to to the back of the sleeve! Using your foam brush, paint over the stencil. I only did one coat, but had to 'daub' the glitter paint on, so that it was an even coat.



Let dry. I always leave my projects overnight to dry. Half way through, I remove the stencil, then let the product finish drying on its own. Can't wait overnight? In a crunch for time? >> use a blow dryer to speed up the drying process!





All that's left is for your to get your cardi on. Go and do, my friends! :)

xo

**BUY A MATERNITY COUNTDOWN SHIRT HERE!**



Enter to win Ad Space on my blog for the month of April! Click HERE!


Be the first to know about all things Put A Bird On It! Get email updates sent to your inbox {sign up >> top of blog!}

89 comments:

  1. So cute! I love it and want to make one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with these elbow patches!!! They are so cute, and I love the idea of painting them on! Awesome!!! Stopping by from Hoyby Crafts courtesy of the Craft-o-Maniac link party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, this is cute! found your blog through a comment on an article on http://woodsofbelltrees.com/... LOVE your blog name!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!!! And it does look so easy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Amberly! I want to make more, it's that simple. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha thank you! The "how I put a bird on it" link on the top left sidebar has a great video you'll love about my blog name. Feel free to follow along through GFC or email, too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for saying HI! Like I said, I've seriously worn this cardi every day. It's my most fave! You should make one and tag me in a pic cause I so want to see. :) feel free to follow me while you're here! (Links in left sidebar) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so easy you will love making them. Let me know if you do! Thanks for stopping by, Chastity. Feel free to follow along any way you'd like (left sidebar). xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am already following and taking part in your link parties! You have some incredible ideas! I'd love for you to check out my blog any time you have the chance http://hoybycrafts.blogspot.com and I will definitely send you pics when I have the chance to make similar elbow patches :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do really love a cute simple cardigan. You're right to be super excited about this! I'd wear it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE THIS! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable! I'm all about a cardigan, whenever I see one with elbow patched I grab it. Now I can make one myself, who knew?!? And since I already have a "Handy Dandy" Silhouette I can totally so this!! Thanks for the awesome tutorial, don't be surprised if you see I made one too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay thanks for following me on Instagram. :) And for saying HI here on my blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are very welcome. Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to follow by email or GFC or any way you'd like! {left sidebar} Have a great night. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Jen! I'm so obsessed with my gold elbow patches, it's not even funny. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh you totally should make one! I would love to see your version of it. Isn't the Silhouette machine just the best?! I'm constantly amazed at what I can do with it. Take care, Courtney! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this, I want to make one for myself and I think my little man would love it too; he is a heart fanatic. I forgot to look at the Martha Stewart paints over the weekend. Something to do this weekend for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hehe. Too cute!


    Steph
    www.newlymynted.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Martha Stewart paints! The tin table fabric medium is the best I've used. For the acrylic paint, I've honestly used the 99cents one and it works just fine! Have so much fun this weekend. ;) {and don't forget to use a coupon! I get the craft stores' app on my phone, cause it has their coupons!}

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is adorable! I think it would look great on toddler and kids clothes as well.
    (p.s. found you through the Ma Made Blog Hop) :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so cute! I need to make one. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Missy! I love it on a cardi. I want to try it on a striped 3/4 sleeve and see how that looks, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sharon! Yes, it would look SO CUTE on kids clothes. I have some ideas for hearts on my 1-year old's clothes that will be coming soon. Feel free to follow by email or GFC or any way you'd like {left sidebar!} to stay connected. I love Michelle's blog, glad you found me through there. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're welcome! So glad you stopped by. Feel free to check out the left sidebar to see more ways to follow. I have some more great fabric paint projects in the works. :) Have a great day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. My dd would love this project. She loves painting everything.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super cute! It add just the right amount of fun to your top. #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  27. Juls Nicholl StimpsonFebruary 13, 2014 at 7:11 AM

    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so cute! I love the idea of adding a little sparkle to anything, and this is just perfect for Valentines Day! #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am going to have to try this. It is so cute. You have a great blog. #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is an amazingly adorable idea! I'm going to pin this for future reference so I can try it on one of my daughter's sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so cute! I'm going to have to try this. I'm enjoying your blog - I'll be checking back.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabric paint & stencils are so much fun for kids of all ages. My 12-year old nieces designed their own patterns in Silhouette Studio, then cut them out in vinyl. They used fabric paint to paint their designs onto baby leggings for my baby girl. It was such a fun and easy project. Good luck! xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks, Coco! Happy to have you here visiting. Feel free to peruse my blog and the left sidebar for more ways to stay connected. Have a great day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Juls! I love the new SITS commenting forum - it's such a great idea. Happy to have you here! I would love for you to check out the left sidebar of my blog to stay connected in more ways. Take care! xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for stopping by, Denise! I am obsessed with everything glittery, but usually don't use glitter in my projects, because it's so messy. This project was NO mess and the glitter on my sleeves doesn't rub off on anything. :) I hope you'll view the left sidebar and keep in touch someway. Have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for liking my blog, Dena! That is so sweet of you to say. I'm checking out your blog now! I would love for you to follow any way you'd like (left sidebar). Hope you have the best weekend ever. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your daughter will love it! If you do it, definitely send me a pic or tag me in a pic. I'd absolutely LOVE to see it! Take care, Cole! xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks, Cyndi! I would love for you to check back. :) Feel free to follow by email or any other social media (all options are along the left sidebar)! So happy to have you here. xo

    ReplyDelete
  39. how fun is this? i am so not a creative person but this DIY looks like it would be easy and fun. thanks for sharing your passion on such a fab blog!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the gold heart sleeves. Also, what a great link party. It looks like there are some fun ideas on there.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is so cute...gotta try it! I'm stopping by from your link up party! Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is so fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh. My. Gosh!! So adorable! I just bought a cute cardi on clearance yesterday and this would be the perfect addition to it! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is so cute! And easy to do! I definitely think I need to make this. Thank for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a freakin' cute craft! I would love for you to come and share it That's Fresh Friday today #sitsblogging

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love elbow patches. The thing is: I feel so guilty! My mom tried to get me to wear stuff like this when I was younger and I gagged! Now, it's all I want...for everybody! I want it for my son, for the hubs and for me! I bet I could do this without a silouette, whaddya think? Just any heart cut out really, right? So, will this last through the wash?
    This is so cute, but you are adorable and the way you write is cute too! I'd join your link up party thing ,but I'm such a newbie that I don't really know what that is or what it entails!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks for sharing the Silhouette instructions. I just got a Portrait and am learning all the ins and outs of the machine. #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  48. Totally adorable! And the fact that it's gold glitter? Perfect! Thank you for linking to The Weekend re-Treat Link Party!
    xo, Shannon
    www.akadesign.ca

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic project on The Inspiration Board at homework. I featured you in the spotlight!

    carolyn ~ homework

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a cute sweater with the addition of the lovely hearts you painted on it! I love the white paired with the gold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Dawn! Elbow patches are seriously my fave right now. This is the easiest way I've found to get them for myself, since I don't sew and don't want to spend a fortune on buying shirts with them. And I totally get the whole liking-stuff-now-you-hated-when-you-were-younger thing. I almost bought a leather fanny pack a couple months ago, because it was adorable, but I had to remind myself: IT'S A FANNY PACK! Ha ha. Yes, if you don't have a Silhouette machine, you could use a freezer paper stencil {google for a tutorial} or purchase a heart stencil from a craft store. I just LOVE cutting stencils out of vinyl, because it gets such crisp lines when you paint over them on fabric. If you do a lot of crafting, I would definitely look into getting a Silhouette machine. I've used mine SO much that it has totally been worth the investment! I just washed my cardigan and the paint stayed on almost 100%. A little bit of the glitter came off, but only something I would notice, because I made it. As for the link party, you totally should link up!! At the bottom of the post, there is a blue button that says "add your link" - just click on that button and it takes you to a page where you can copy & paste the URL of your blog post, add a title and your email, then select which photo you want for the thumbnail image. That's it! It is a great way to get your blog posts out there (remember - they're shared on all 4 blogs hosting the party). If you are interested in guest hosting a party, there is a sign up sheet on the blog post for that, too. If you have ANY questions at all {link parties, Silhouette, etc}, totally email me. I'm happy to help you any way I can! {danieladavis17@gmail.com} Feel free to check out my left sidebar for more ways to keep in touch! xo

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thank you so much! I wore mine tonight at our Valentine's dinner. It was perfect! xo

    ReplyDelete
  53. Ooooh you will LOVE your Silhouette Portrait. I'm obsessed with my Cameo and know the Portrait is just as amazing! I'm glad my instructions could help you. If you make this project, I'd love to see! You can tag me on IG: @putabirdonitblog, or email me a photo to share {danieladavis17@gmail.com}. I try to post Silhouette tutorials and project ideas often, so definitely sign up for emails (top of blog) if you'd like to stay up to date. Thanks for stopping by! Take care. xo

    ReplyDelete
  54. Haha, I know, right? Gold + Glitter makes everything better. Thanks for having a great party to link up to. Take care! xo

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thank you so much for the feature. What an honor! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thanks! I love the white & gold, too. It gives me all kind of ideas for future color combos, too. Maybe something with Radiant Orchid for 2014? Thanks for stopping by, Bethany! xo

    ReplyDelete
  57. So awesome! I am going to be putting glitter hearts on everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hey Daniela, I believe I'm link up #97. I shared a chalk paint post. I'm new to these link ups, so I'm sure it'll take me a little bit to get it all straight! I love hearts so I'm sure ill be trying a glitter heart on something!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Oh my gosh Daniela that is so cute! I love how they came out! Thanks for linking up at the MaMade Blog Hop! Don't forget to stop back to link up again next week and see if you've been featured! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hey! Do you know what the difference is between a silouette and a cricut? I love to make wooden signs, but sometimes hand painting with stencils is so stressful, so I thought vinyl letters would be easier, but the machine is so expensive!
    Ok, so are all link up parties the same or they all have their own rules? So if I join yours then I will be give 4 other posts to share? And where do I share...my blog, twitter? I'm so lost! lol

    ReplyDelete
  61. I am obsessed with glitter hearts, so I fully support that decision! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  62. Thank you, Michelle! I will definitely check back in hopes of a feature. :) Take care! xo

    ReplyDelete
  63. Ok, so I have been wanting a silhouette for years. The husband always asks what for. Now I can tell him "To make my shirts pretty!" I liked how you showed the step-by-step in the software. I always thought that the software would be difficult to learn but from what I saw it should be easy. :)
    Stopping by from #SITSBlogging.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hey Christina! You will LOVE a Silhouette machine. They have a Portrait (cuts up to 9") or a Cameo (cuts up to 12"). If you do a lot of paper crafting, I recommend the Cameo. Most scrapbooking paper packs come in 12", so that's one reason I love the larger cutting area. The software is THE MAIN REASON I love Silhouette. I am a total newbie to design (like - no experience at all!), but I design all of my printables in Silhouette Studio. I don't need InDesign or Adobe Illustrator - I use Silhouette Studio to design my business cards and so many things that I don't even cut with my Cameo, I just save it as a PDF or a JPG image. All my blog buttons I designed in Silhouette Studio. You have to let me know if you get one! I recommend following Linda @ Craftaholics Anonymous blog {tell her I say HI!}. She always has a promo code for Silhouette products. You will love it! Thanks for stopping by. Totally check out my left sidebar for more ways to follow. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  65. Hey! Send me an email, and I will totally tell you why I love my Silhouette machine. :)
    {danieladavis17@gmail.com}


    As for the link parties, they all vary a little. Some have strict rules about what you can post...linking back to the party...following hosts...stuff like that. I try to keep it pretty rule free, so we can party harder. If you are a guest host, you get to pick one post to share and all your social media is shared, too. You share the party on your blog as a regular blog post and promote it throughout the week on your social media. It's pretty easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Awesome! I saw it, shared and commented. Can't wait to see what you put glitter hearts on! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  67. Oh, if I could use the software like that too, I just might be able to get the husband to agree to let me get one. I already follow Linda @ Craftaholics Anonymous (Not that I ever do anything crafty, yet) so I saw the flash giveaway she is doing. I entered of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  68. That is such a cool project! And I will keep the idea of using cupcake liners to hold your paint in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  69. April @ 100lbcountdownFebruary 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM

    That is so cute. I haven't done anything to freshen up plain clothes in years. I think it's about that time. Thank you for sharing with Countdown in Style.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I use cupcake liners now ALL THE TIME for painting. It's been awesome! Thanks for stopping by. xo

    ReplyDelete
  71. Thanks, April! :)

    ReplyDelete
  72. I am such a huge fan of adding simple and fast embellishments to plain garments. I love what you have done!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Thanks, Anne! I now see my wardrobe in a whole new light. I keep thinking up ways to reinvent old clothes. Feel free to check out the left sidebar of my blog for more ways we can keep in touch. Have a great night! xo

    ReplyDelete
  74. Ha ha, that video definitely helps explain the whole 'put a bird on it' thing. I love Portlandia SO much! :) Thanks for stopping by! xo

    ReplyDelete
  75. I love this detail and this is such an easy way to get it. Thanks for linking up at The Makers!
    Corey @ TinySidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  76. Carol TheAnswerIsChocolateFebruary 20, 2014 at 4:34 PM

    So cute and also practical. Wanted to let you know I'm featuring you when my party opens up tonight

    ReplyDelete
  77. Thanks, Corey! It is SO EASY, you will love it. Thanks for the link party! xo

    ReplyDelete
  78. The cupcake liners idea has seriously changed my life! I was working on a project at my mom's with paint and said "do you have cupcake liners?!" ha ha and she DID, and I totally used them to hold my paint. It's awesome, because everyone has cupcake liners they aren't needing! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  79. THANK YOU for the feature! Heading there now. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  80. Great idea, love the hearts :) thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays, featuring and pinning this week at the blog hop...

    ReplyDelete
  81. Thank you for the feature!! That means so much to me. So glad you liked my project! It was so easy - I hope people will make a cute cardi. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  82. This is absolutely darling, Daniela! I would totally wear it every day if I made it too! Which I probably will now that I have seen your awesome tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  83. Seriously - I am tempted EVERY. DAY. to make a glitter sleeves shirt. But I can't do it to all my clothes, or it will get old, so I restrain myself. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  84. Saying good bye to suede elbow patches and a big hello to glittery gold heart patches!!!!! Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
  85. Ha ha GOODBYE! :) I love glitter & gold anything right now!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  86. Thanks for pinning!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the chat!

Blog Design By Brand Me Beautiful