photo PABOI2.jpg

Weekly Digest

 photo PAGEShome1.jpg  photo PAGESlinkparty1.jpg  photo PAGESfeatured1.jpg  photo PAGESsponsor1.jpg  photo PAGESguestposts1.jpg

Search This Blog

Monday, March 17, 2014

How to Cut Fabric with a Silhouette Cameo & St. Patrick's Day Wreath

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!

ARE YOU WEARING GREEN?!


Ok, I just love holidays! Even if I don't go all out celebrating them every year. Nope - no St. Patrick's Day mantel or treats at my house! Bad craft blogger - I know. :) But I try to do something for each holiday. I did make Shamrock Cupcake Toppers last week {click HERE for the tutorial!}. I also made an easy, last minute St. Patrick's Day Wreath for my front door. I did it in under 30 minutes Saturday morning while my lovies slept in {"lucky" them!}. I took my polka dot birthday wreath {HERE} and upcycled it into this little number. Best part of my project? Cutting fabric with my Silhouette Cameo! Even bester part? I got a NEW CUTTING MAT! I've been cutting with an old, non-sticky mat {think painters tape being used to hold down my card stock! boo}. It was a DREAM cutting fabric with my new mat and my Cameo. Total dream. I cut this adorable white shamrock fabric into pennants for the banner on my wreath. On to the tutorial!

> PIN IT <

Supplies

Fabric  | > Interfacing <  |  Iron  |  Scissors  |  Silhouette Cameo & Cutting Mat

The Fun Part



1. Cut your interfacing just slightly smaller than your piece of fabric. Place the interfacing shiny (non paper) side against the back of the fabric. 

2. Iron interfacing & fabric together. You want the fabric right side up, so your interfacing is underneath your fabric with the paper backing against the ironing board.

3. Cut your fabric down to match the size of the interfacing.

4. Remove paper backing. You'll see the interfacing adhered to the fabric.


5. Place the fabric on your cutting mat, adhesive side down. *I've read some people suggest not placing the fabric where it will roll under the rollers. I've never had trouble with it under the rollers, but just thought I'd pass that along.*

6. Send your design from Silhouette Studio to your Silhouette machine to cut {you can do this with your Cameo or Portrait!}.

7. Enjoy your perfectly cut fabric!


I loved using the white fabric for the pennants, but I wanted something to offset all the white. I used green glitter tape to make the other pennants. Also very easy! I just cut about 4" strips of the tape, folded it in half, and snipped the "V" in the bottom to give it that design. On the wreath, I hot glued brown twine to hang my pennants on. I hot glued the fabric pennants, evenly spaced. Then, I removed the paper backing from the glitter tape pieces I'd cut and folded them in half, lining up the ends just right. 

I just freehand cut the shamrock and "L U C K Y" out of gold glitter foam. I originally drew the word "LUCKY" and the shamrock on the back of the foam piece to cut out, but then I cut it out and the letters were backwards! Because I hadn't drawn them mirrored - which I can't do, ha ha. So I just cut them out and was "LUCKY" they looked okay. {To view how I made wrapped the polka dot burlap around the wreath, check out my birthday wreath tutorial HERE}



Thanks for hanging out with ME on this lovely holiday. If you have a Silhouette machine, you MUST try cutting fabric. It's so so so so awesome. I used it to make custom Disney shirts for my family when we went to Disneyland last year, and I'm totally wanting to use it to make a baby mobile. What do you love using your Silhouette machine for?

Happy St. Patty's Day! What are you doing? If you have a fave St. Patrick's Day treat, post the link. Fun! Thanks for being here!

xo

**BUY A MATERNITY COUNTDOWN SHIRT HERE!**




Don't miss out on another Silhouette tutorial! Sign up for my weekly email at the top of the blog! ^^^^

Are you more of a visual person? Let's be Instagram friends! >> @putabirdonitblog

32 comments:

  1. Turned out super cute! Thanks for the tutorial! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute wreath and easy to make. Happy St, Patrick's Day

    HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Shannon! I'm glad the tutorial could help you. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy holiday to you, too, Amy! This wreath was SO easy. I like to keep it simple around here. Less work >> More dr pepper and mike & ike eating. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you did a tutorial like this, I've been wanting to cut fabric with my Silhouette but have been too intimidated to try it. Pinning for sure! Thanks Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is SO easy, Courtney! You definitely must try it soon! I get giddy when I try out something new with my Cameo and of course it's a total dream each time. I just used their stencil material for the first time today, and I love it! I had a couple hiccups with it, which I passed along a message to Silhouette about it. I'll definitely post about it soon. Take care - thanks for pinning! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the wreath. Just the right amount of glitter. And thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for linking and sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute Wreath.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  10. I jsut got on and need to give it a try! Thanks for coming over and sharing at The Weekend Retreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! I need to try cutting fabric again--the first time was a bust, but after reading this I'll give it another try. Thanks for linking up to the Do Tell Tuesday party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denyse @ Glitter, Glue & PaintMarch 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM

    Super cute! One of these days I will take my silhouette out of the box. :-)


    Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very cute wreath. Thanks for the tips on cutting fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Sharon! I love gold + glitter anything. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You will love your Cameo! I haven't even tapped into everything it can do. Can't wait to see what you make with it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Katherine!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Debi. I'm so glad you liked it and said HI. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAY. There are so many things you can do with a Silhouette machine. Cutting fabric has been so much fun! Good luck! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh bummer - I'm sorry it didn't work the first time! I've only done it twice (these pennants and fabric for Disney shirts) and it was pretty good both times. What did you find was difficult? Maybe I could help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhhh you totally need to take it at least out of the box ;) Ha ha! I warn you - once you start crafting with it - you will become obsessed! I can't wait to see what fun projects you make. :) Thanks for stopping by! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad you liked my wreath. Thanks, Sarah! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. April @ 100lbcountdownMarch 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM

    This is on my wish list, Daniela. Really cute idea! Thanks for linking up with Countdown in Style.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really need to do this ASAP! Also congrats because you are the most-viewed feature on this week's Do Tell Tuesday link party and have been pinned to our features board! Feel free to grab a button and link up this week too. :) http://www.vintagezest.com/2014/03/do-tell-tuesday-16-with-features-co-host.html

    Diane @ Vintage Zest

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Cameo is on my need to get list! Pinned:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, April! xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay! That is so awesome. I'm so glad everyone liked my post! Thanks, Diane. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. You will love it! Definitely follow some Silhouette bloggers that give out discount codes. Thanks for pinning! xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. HI Daniela, Thank you for linking this up on the Link It or Lump It link party this week. This is a great tutorial! I'm not sure if you know, but in addition to Two It Yourself, I also have the blog Silhouette School. It's pretty much what the name implies. I'm always looking for fabulous and informative tutorials from 'substitute teachers' aka guest bloggers. I'd love to feature this post if you'd be interested. I would just put a little blurb, one photo and send my readers to your site for the full tutorial. Here's an example of how it would look > http://www.silhouetteschool.blogspot.com/2014/03/burlap-easter-bunny-banner-substitute.html
    Let me know if you'd like to participate! - melissa

    ReplyDelete
  29. Melissa, I would love to be featured on your blog! I love helping out with Silhouette how-to's, so this sounds great. Just let me know what you need from me. You can email me at {danieladavis17@gmail.com}, if you need to. Thanks for thinking of me!!! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so cute! I never realized you could cut the fabric without the paper backing, though. I always left it on to cut in the Silhouette. I will have to try this next time and see if I like it better...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hmmm - I guess I've never left the paper backing on. I'll have to try it that way, too. Love my Silhouette!! xo :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can you cut fabric without interfacing? I want to cut some Dresden plate shapes and don't want the extra bulk and weight in my fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the chat!

Blog Design By Brand Me Beautiful